THE PRIMARY CIVIC DUTY: ECONOMICS FOR CITIZENS
- From Victims to Pawns: New York’s About-Face on Marijuana"Politicians’ sudden moral awakening would be much more believable if their efforts sought to deliver maximum benefit to the people they harmed rather than to deliver maximum benefit to the political class under the guise of helping their former victims." ~ Antony Davies
- Market Solutions to Ancient Sins"Ferguson and Witcher make persuasive arguments in favor of the classical liberal narrative about black history, and they also provide valuable summaries of and introductions to the work of other important classical liberal and libertarian scholars on race." ~ Jason Jewell
- Manufacturing-Sector Survey Suggests Slowing Growth and Slightly Fewer Price Pressures“The latest manufacturing survey suggests supply and demand may be moving closer to balance. However, persistently elevated price increases and an intensifying Fed policy tightening cycle remain risks to the outlook.” ~ Robert Hughes
- Inflation: Hidden Costs & Debunking Myths | Liberty Curious (Video)"In this episode of Liberty Curious, AIER Research Faculty Peter C. Earle discusses some of the lesser-known costs of inflation. He also provides an overview of what inflation actually is- and what really causes it." ~ AIER
- Stocks and Bonds Hurt Alike Under Stagflation"When bonds and stocks decline a lot and simultaneously it suggests inflation is rising rapidly even as the economy is stagnating or contracting (or will soon do so). For most economists today, that combination is near-impossible." ~ Richard M. Salsman
- Inflation Increased In May, New Data Show"It is difficult to say precisely when the inflation tide will turn. But consumers should expect inflation to remain high throughout the rest of the year." ~ William J. Luther
- Tocqueville’s Worst Fears"Piketty is less concerned with promoting either political or individual freedom than he is with building a 'state' strong enough to push 'to its logical conclusion 'the movement towards 'real equality' as he conceives it." ~ David Lewis Schaefer
- Real Disposable Income and Real Consumer Spending Fell in May“Personal income rose in May, but real disposable income and real consumer spending fell. The outlook for the economy remains highly uncertain.” ~ Robert Hughes
- Average Weekly Initial Claims Rose for a Fourth Consecutive Week“Weekly initial claims fell, but the four-week average continues on a modest upward trend. Sustained elevated price increases and an intensifying Fed tightening cycle remain risks to the outlook.” ~ Robert Hughes
- The Perpetual Tragedy of New York’s Rent Control"If the city keeps reducing real rents by capping increases below the inflation rate (as it is doing now), and if inflation continues for more than a few years, we will see building abandonments once again." ~ Raymond C. Niles
- A Message to Fellow IT/Software Pros June 7, 2020
- Neil Gorsuch Takes a Stand Against the Tyranny of Unaccountable, Rogue Bureaucracy“The framers believed that a republic—a thing of the people—would be more likely to enact just laws than a regime administered by a ruling class of largely unaccountable ‘ministers.’”
- What Has Government Done to the Fourth of July?We have less freedom to celebrate and thus fewer goods and services to celebrate with.
- Student Debt Forgiveness Is Already Happening Because of the Payment "Freeze"Student loan forgiveness is already here. And it’s already helping the rich at the expense of the poor.
- Efforts to Ban TikTok Are Getting Real. Here's Why That Would Be a MistakeBanning TikTok would defeat the purpose of national security.
- Arizona’s New School Choice Bill Moves Us Closer to Milton Friedman’s VisionThe education disruption over the past two years has re-energized parents and taxpayers alike.