THE PRIMARY CIVIC DUTY: ECONOMICS FOR CITIZENS
- Cuban Farm Fantasies and Failures"Cuba should have watched and learned from the more complete reforms embraced by China and Vietnam. By holding onto Soviet-inspired collective farming institutions, while experimenting with a return to pre-industrial farm technologies, the tone-deaf regime in Havana puts its own survival at risk." ~ Robert Paarlberg
- Sweden to the Political Left of the Whole USA?"Leftists might deny that they generally favor greater governmentalization, but the reality is that their ideas and policies almost always lead to bigger government. They often seem to be in denial about that, just as they are in denial about the downside of governmentalizing social affairs." ~ Daniel B. Klein
- Bringing Money Under the Rule of Law"The problem, of course, is that the Fed has always been under constant political pressure, but even when it is acting independently, its adventurism can and has ended poorly. To combat this, the authors argue that the Fed should be bound by explicit rules that constrain it from exercising broad discretion." ~ Ethan Yang
- What’s in a Name? Quite a Lot, Actually"After studying economics, I started to understand what brand names do. Social phenomena persist because they solve problems, and brand names solve significant information problems. I think critics of brand names and marketing would do well to give consumers the benefit of the doubt." ~ Art Carden
- Will More Media Bias Save Democracy?"Washington Post media columnist Margaret Sullivan is urging journalists to become openly biased. Sullivan claims this is necessary to save democracy. But most Washington reporters have more affection for Leviathan than for liberty or democracy." ~ James Bovard
- A Conversation on Keynes, Morality, and the Economy"On this episode of the Authors Corner, Ethan sits down with AIER Visiting Fellow, Dr. Victor Claar to speak about his recent research and publications on the ideas of John Maynard Keynes and their long-term impact on how we view economics from a moral perspective." ~ AIER
- Is Our Current Inflation Temporary? Look at the Numbers"John Williams, the New York Fed President, is expecting 3% inflation this year. I’m expecting inflation in 2021 to be above 5%. In six months, we’ll be able to look at the actual numbers and see whose estimate was closer." ~ Randall G. Holcombe
- CNN’s Death Toll"Throughout the pandemic, CNN and certain other cable news networks deliberately induced panic in order to boost their ratings and the CDC recently revealed that anxiety is the second most important contributing factor to death from/with Covid. Mass media pundits may have been as deadly as Masses or mass meetings." ~ Robert E. Wright
- Understanding China’s Financial Market Chaos"In this case, Beijing seems to be making a calculated decision to pursue immediate political goals over long-term growth. Such trends are likely to continue and will make investing in Chinese companies increasingly unattractive." ~ Ethan Yang
- Sweden: Despite Variants, No Lockdowns, No Daily Covid Deaths"Thus the country the media loved to hate is reaping the best of all worlds: Few current cases and deaths, stronger economic growth than the lockdown countries, and its people never experienced the yoke of tyranny." ~ Michael Fumento
- A Message to Fellow IT/Software Pros June 7, 2020
- A Liberal Pop Star Just Condemned Socialist Tyranny in Cuba"Anybody who speaks out against the government in Cuba is disappeared and kidnapped from their families or put behind bars," she said.
- The Push is On to Extend One of the Federal Government’s Worst Pandemic Power-GrabsWhenever the order finally expires, crushing bills will come due.
- How Amazon's $10 Billion Contract Squabble with the Pentagon Reveals the Shady Nature of Military ContractsThe Defense Department’s cancellation of the $10 billion JEDI contract shows how military contracting can lead to political corruption.
- School Shutdowns Will Cost Students a Staggering Amount in Lifetime Earnings, New McKinsey Analysis ShowsAll this educational loss will have grave financial implications.
- Woman Sexually Assaulted by Deputy Sheriff During Traffic Stop Says Qualified Immunity Is Blocking Her Quest for JusticeJustice should primarily be about making victims whole, not merely incarcerating perpetrators. Qualified immunity hinders that.